Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Humbug

I have watched A Christmas Carol about four times this Christmas season. Not all the same versions of course. I had no idea there were so many. Anyway I got a good dose of Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge.

You know his famous line of 'Bah Humbug.' Well its German!

der Humbug - nonsense, bull shit

Isn't that cool! All this time I thought it was just some random phrase that Charles Dickens (the author of A Christmas Carol) invented.

I had always thought this since we don't use the word Humbug in English in any other situation. Just in reference to this story and maybe for fun around the Christmas season. Out of this context it has no other meaning. It makes more sense that is has a meaning in some other language. And that language happens to be German!

Germans may have Humbug but they don't have scrooge. Outside of the context of this famous story we call people who are greedy and don't want to share scrooge. I am not sure which word I like better. Scrooge or Humbug. But it doesn't matter because I get to use! A little Christmas present from the German language to us.

                                       .               .                .

It Christmas Eve today!! It is the day Germans celebrate Chirstmas and get to open their presents. I discussed this back in 2011 so here is a link to that post if you are interested.

Frohe Weihnachten!!

1 comment:

  1. It appears you are no long in operation. Which is too bad because it's a great site. I'm learning a lot by going over the past posts. Have you moved your blog to another site?

    ReplyDelete