Thursday, December 5, 2013

Hast du Lust?

I was thinking about this phrase the other day and decided to look into the actual translation of the word Lust. This word is pronounced Loost.

"Hast du Lust?" - "Are you interested?" is one of the first phrases I learned. It is the precursor to "Hast du Bock?", which I discuss in this post. It is a precursor, in that when learning German you usually learn this phrase with Lust before you learn it with Bock.

I had always thought of Lust as similar to Spaß (fun). Specially since lustig means funny. However that is not the whole truth.

die Lust - delight, zest, desire

There it was the word 'desire'. Of course many of you may be saying 'well duh,' it is spelled the same as the English word 'lust', so of course the translation of 'desire' fits. I realize that and it is not that I was shocked or in disbelief. I was just a little disappointed. Like a little bubble of illusion was popped

What I mean is that this word has lost a bit of its humor. It was a fun word to work with because it is spelled like the English word 'Lust' but didn't mean the same. And so it was humorous. Like a little kid that doesn't realized it just make a dirty joke. Like the kids on YouTube who's parents taped them saying 'Truck'  but sounds like F- - -. That is what Lust was for me but now it is not so funny anymore.

The word Lust does have the meaning of desire, but it is not as strong as the English word Lust. It is mild like the desire and doesn't have any negative connotations. Though it does have this meaning it also means delight and fun and it is mostly used in this sense and most commonly heard in the phrase mentioned above.


Since the English word lust was discussed so much, I thought to add it to the vocabulary here at the bottom.

die Sinnenlust - lust

Update: Also spelt die Sinneslust. Though both word are listed in Duden, Sinneslust is the more commonly used spelling. 

Sinnenlust makes it very clear that this is the naughty kind of desire. Again a marvel of German direct translation.

der Spaß - fun, joke, amusement

lustig - funny, cheerful, merry


2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Sinneslust not Sinnenlust.
    I laught about Bock. That is familiar, if not slang. I have no idea where it comes from. Bock means the animal buck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, glad you found it funny!
      I just checked both spellings. They both seem to be correct according to Duden: sinnliche Lust. Though Sinneslust appears to be the more common spelling.

      Delete